4-H Canada’s Leadership Development Pillars
Under our four 4-H Canada Leadership Development Pillars, we are delivering impactful programming that is relevant to today’s youth.
Community engagement for 4-H’ers is about being involved in their school, neighborhood, town or city, and making a positive impact by communicating thoughts, ideas and solutions to challenges they see in the world around them. From building their confidence as a public speaker, to volunteering their time at local events, they are able to demonstrate community leadership through 4-H.
This generation of youth — is shaping and redefining how we communicate, from the technology we use, to the words we write, to the way we talk with each other. 4-H Canada believes in the ability of youth to make a meaningful difference both locally and globally, and we work to ensure they have an authentic voice in the conversations that will affect them and their futures.. The opportunities are endless for active community involvement and positive change. Through 4-H they can:
- Make a positive impact on the world around them
- Look for ways to lend a hand and to take action
- Speak up for what matters to them and help others to do the same
- Be a role model for the change they want to see in the world
- Connect to their peers in their community, across Canada and around the world
Science and technology impact our lives in so many ways. As agriculture evolves, and farming practices become more modern and sustainable, we have STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) to thank for these innovations. We believe that learning about the fascinating world of science and technology is important and will help youth make positive choices for their future—choices about their careers, the food we eat and the health of the planet.
Through our science and technology programming, 4-H youth can dive right into hands-on, inquiry-based projects and activities that spark their curiosity by:
- Engaging in the science and technology world
- Exploring ideas and career opportunities related to STEM
- Explaining how systems work and how agriculture and other key industries are benefiting from STEM innovations
- Expanding their minds through experiential, inquiry-based learning
4-H is all about healthy living! Our programs and projects promote the health and well-being of youth, their community and the planet we live on. It’s important for them to be knowledgeable about their own health, what influences healthy living and how to support others in taking care of themselves.
Being aware of the environmental impact of our everyday behavior, routines and habits is a responsibility youth take very seriously. Through experiential and outdoor educational programming, 4-H offers opportunities for them to:
- Be stewards of the environment and develop sustainable solutions
- Take care of themselves and others
- Learn positive ways to stay healthy and active
- Make informed choices about their health and the health of the planet
- Dig in and get their hands dirty!
4-H Canada has deep roots in rural and agricultural communities, and was founded on the innovation and energy of youth engaged in those communities. 4-H continues to grow awareness of Canada’s agriculture sector, build skills in agricultural practices and showcase opportunities in the industry.
As global citizens, youth are more and more interested in where their food comes from, how it is grown and produced, and how to feed a growing global population sustainably. Through 4-H, youth can explore these issues and more. With youth at the table, we are confident there will be so many creative and innovative solutions for feeding the planet. Through 4-H they can:
- Appreciate and learn about the food we eat and grow
- Explore innovative and sustainable farming practices
- Discover new ways of improving nutrition and food security
- Exchange ideas and solutions locally and globally!