Home / FAQs

Everything you need to know about the 4-H program in Alberta is right here

Here you’ll find information on a wide range of topics as well as suggested resources. If your question is not answered below, please send 4-H Alberta a message and we would be happy to answer it, or forward it to the appropriate expert.

With the new Government of Alberta enhanced COVID-19 public health measures in effect, how can 4-H Alberta help us operate our club?
4-H Alberta has added a new resources page to help clubs, leaders, and members operate during this challenging time. On this page, you will find various resources and information such as 4-H Alberta’s offer to support your club by providing you with a G Suite account and other tools to help you facilitate virtual meetings, set up Google Classroom, etc.  Visit https://www.4hab.com/covid-19resources/

I’m in charge of organizing an upcoming 4-H activity? Where do I start?
Every activity and every club is unique. The best place to start is with your facility – is it available and what rules do they have? You also need to consider whether or not you can meet AHS guidelines in terms of numbers of attendees, social distancing, masking, disinfection, etc. Communicate and work with your 4-H families to support a safe environment for your club to operate.

4-H Alberta COVID-19 waiver:

If I did not get a waiver or have misplaced it, can the waiver be resent to me?
Contact forms@4hab.com, or call 780-682-2153, for a new COVID-19 waiver. To download a generic COVID-19 waiver form click here: COVID-19 Generic Waiver

Are masks Mandatory at 4-H activities and events?
When participants can not be physically distant, masks should be worn appropriately.  For more AHS mask guidelines here: COVID-19: Masks | Alberta.ca

Is there a health checklist to provide families before 4-H activity?
All participants should complete a self-assessment before attending a 4-H activity or event.  This COVID Alberta Health Services Daily checklist can be used as a guide: COVID-19 Alberta Health Daily Checklist

Can we meet at a home or private residence to meet or work on projects?
4-H Clubs may use a home or private residence providing the club has outlined the location details and expectations in their club minutes. The details and expectations would be agreed upon by whomever owns the property that includes areas available for use and expectations regarding Alberta Health Services requirements, including disinfection. Property owners need to communicate with their insurance company before the event for further details.

Can I be part of 4-H and a local sports team or other youth groups?
Yes, members and leaders can participate in other activities and events in their communities.  4-H activities and events can meet social distancing and mass gathering requirements, as outlined by Alberta Health Services.

If a family member needs to self-quarantine from school, another youth group, or due to exposure to COVID-19, do we have to self-quarantine from 4-H?
Yes, if an individual is required to quarantine from exposure, or they exhibit COVID symptoms, they must quarantine from 4-H.

Is a 4-H club considered to be a cohort?
No, 4-H activities and events do not have limitations in complying with AHS. 4-H is different from a closed sport cohort. COVID-19 Guidance for Cohorts

Can our 4-H activity or event have potlucks or serve food?
Potlucks are not permitted at this time (Sept 15, 2020). If your club, committee, or council wishes to serve food, you must follow all foodservice requirements and guidelines outlined by AHS: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and food safety

How can club leaders manage large club membership at activities and events?

  • Have everyone RSVP or pre-register
  • Sit in family groups/school cohorts or socially distanced at meetings
  • Set up ways to communicate via email, phone, a private social media page, etc.
  • Be flexible and adapt throughout the year.

What are AHS standards for facilities that 4-H clubs use?
Work with the facility that you meet at to understand their standards.

4-H Interclub, District and Region activities and events information
All interclub, district, and regional events require an activity plan to be approved by 4-H Alberta prior to proceeding with the event. All AHS requirements apply to these events. When possible, it is recommended that 4-H Region activities and events are scheduled 14 days in between. Contact your Area Coordinator for the activity plan.

Will we be able to have an in-person achievement event in the spring of 2021?
While we hope so, we cannot say at this time. We will continue to monitor the Alberta Health Services requirements and Alberta’s re-launch closely and communicate regularly.

If someone becomes ill at a 4-H activity or event, what do we do?
The individual experiencing symptoms of an illness should be removed from the activity or event with a parent or guardian immediately.   If immediately leaving the event is not possible, the individual should be isolated from the larger group. Immediately clean and disinfect surfaces that the individual may have been in contact with. The individual should immediately mask and glove, if not already wearing these protections. Those who are caring for the individual experiencing symptoms need to take precautions. The individual is legally required to isolate for at least 10 days from the start of symptoms (fever, cough – new or worsening, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing – new or worsening, runny nose, sore throat) or until they resolve, whichever is longer. COVID Symptoms and Testing

The individual should get tested. There is a minimum mandatory isolation for 10 days (or longer if symptoms are not resolved) for anyone who has a confirmed case of COVID-19, or symptoms that are not related to a pre-existing illness or health condition.

A 4-H incident report needs to be completed and filed as soon as the event is over.

If a member has to quarantine, will they be penalized in terms of meeting member requirements?
No, members should not be penalized for events outside of their control. Clubs are encouraged to work with those members/families to find alternative activities or ways of participating to meet member requirements.

Will 4-H Alberta provide hand sanitizer, masks, cleaning supplies or funding to purchase?
Hand sanitizer, masks and cleaning supplies, or funding, will not be provided to 4-H clubs, districts or regions. It is recommended that clubs encourage members, leaders, volunteers, and families to support the clubs, districts, and regions by bringing and/or supplying their own supplies to help stop the spread.  At 4-H Alberta provincial events, items will be available when appropriate.

4-H Alberta COVID-19 waiver

If I did not get a waiver or have misplaced it, can the waiver be resent to me?
Contact forms@4hab.com, or call 780-422-4444, for a new COVID-19 waiver.

To download a generic COVID-19 waiver form, click here: COVID-19 Generic Waiver

What do I need to know about the 4-H COVID Waiver?
Every 4-H family is required to understand and complete the electronic COVID-19 waiver to participate.

  • This form has been emailed to each family unless they have not agreed to the CASL (Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation) statement as part of their registration.
  • The form only needs to be completed once per household.
  • 4-H participants must show the completed form to their leaders or 4-H event organizers before participating.
  • 4-H Leaders and parents need to make it a practice to remind their members, volunteers, and families, that the waiver is in effect at all 4-H activities and or events.

Do guests who attend 4-H activities and or events need to complete the waiver?
Yes, anyone attending an event hosted by a 4-H Club, District, Regional, or Provincial level must complete the COVID-19.

How do we get a guest waiver and what do we do with completed guest waivers?
Guest waivers can be requested and then scanned and emailed to forms@4hab.com.  The club, council or committee must keep a copy in case the individual attends a future event.  If the guest can take a photo or keep a copy for their records for any future 4-H events they may attend would be ideal.

Do I need to complete the waiver for each 4-H activity or event?
The 4-H COVID-19 waiver only needs to be completed once.  You are responsible for keeping a copy of your completed waiver, either on your phone or a paper copy.  You will be required to show proof of the waiver at each activity or event. 4-H club leaders may keep a list of those they have seen a waiver from previously.

What is a “highly impacted area” from the COVID-19 waiver, part 9?
The intention of question 9 on the waiver is to determine if you have travelled internationally, nationally, or even locally to an area that has now prompted a 14-day quarantine directive from public health (i.e. the nail salon in Kingston).

A parent and or guardian is a cross border truck driver, or an essential worker. Can their children join 4-H?
Yes. Truck drivers are considered essential workers, just as nurses crossing the border would be. They do not have to quarantine for 14 days upon each return to Canada but must use an app to update Health Canada and must monitor symptoms. We consider their risk the same as other essential workers, and we are not excluding them from our programs.

Where do I find the most recent information about COVID-19 related to 4-H in Alberta activities and events?
Visit AHS at COVID-19 info for Albertans | Alberta.ca. 4-H Alberta will do our best to update our community regularly, but we always defer to AHS to guide 4-H activities and events in Alberta. Our most recent COVID-19 update can be found at COVID-19 Update | 4hab.com.

How do I become a member?
Contact your closest 4‑H Specialist to find the club most suitable to you.

Who can become a member?
Anyone between the ages of 9 and 20 (on or before December 31st of the current club year) can join 4‑H. No matter where you live, be it a farm, acreage, town or city, there is a 4‑H club near you.

What are the member requirements?
Members are required to:

  • Complete project records and have them signed by the club or project leader.
  • Attend a minimum of 70% of club activities.
  • Complete a communication activity that is:
    • prepared by the member
    • presented by the member in front of a group
    • at least three minutes in length
  • Be involved in a club activity that is a benefit to your community.
  • Participate in the club’s achievement event. If the member’s project is unavailable (for example, a calf dies), the member is still expected to have some part in the achievement event.

How much does it cost to belong to 4‑H?
Members pay an annual membership fee of $120 to support the ongoing creation of new projects, programming costs, insurance fees and volunteer training. Individual clubs or districts may charge additional fees for programs and events they provide.

What is the history of Alberta 4‑H?
The first 4‑H Club was started near Olds, Alberta in 1917. Since then, 4‑H clubs have continued to form throughout the province and now can be found in more than 70% of Alberta communities. To view a timeline of important 4‑H events in our province, visit the about 4‑H section of our website and click on history.

What is the 4-H Motto?
The 4-H motto is to:

“Learn to do by doing”

Learning through experience is a key objective of 4-H. At all levels of 4-H, members are encouraged to learn through active participation.

What is the 4-H Pledge?
The 4‑H Pledge is:

I pledge

My HEAD to clearer thinking,
My HEART to greater loyalty,
My HANDS to larger service,
And my HEALTH to better living,
For my club, my community, my country and my world.

What do the four H’s stand for?
The H’s stand for Head, Heart, Health and Hand.

What is a project?
4‑H projects are in-depth learning experiences for 4‑H members. At the beginning of each club year, each member chooses one or more project to work on throughout the year. A few examples of projects are: training pets, raising livestock, taking photos, building remote control airplanes or repairing computers.

How do I choose a project that is right for me?
4‑H has over 30 projects to meet your needs. Often times, we recommend trying different projects each year to gain a variety as skills as well as to identify areas that really suit your interests. We also have a creative options project that allows you to create your own project.

Where can I find project information online?
Visit the resources section of our site and click on projects. However, you must be a registered member or leader to gain access to this area. To gain access, contact the 4-H Registrar.

Where can I find information about regional project rules and guidelines?
Visit the regional information section on our site. Choose the region to which you belong and look for the heading project rules and guidelines.

Can I get school credits for my 4‑H project?
Yes. To find out how 4‑H can be taken as a school credit, talk to your Principal or Counselor regarding Career and Technology Studies in your school.

How can I become a leader?
Contact your closest 4‑H Specialist to find a club in your area. Once you have been in contact with a club, you must complete the 4‑H leader requirements. Leaders must be over the age of 18.

What are the leaders requirements?
In order to ensure a safe environment in which young people can learn and grow, the 4-H Council of Alberta has an online screening process for all volunteers. This requires:

  • Completion of a leader application form
  • Submission of three references
  • A criminal record check
  • Successful completion of Leader Training session or Online Leader’s Quiz

How can I share ideas with other 4‑H volunteers?
Check under events and click on calendar to learn about training sessions at the district, regional and provincial levels

Where can I find ideas for 4‑H ceremonies, songs, games and activities?
Login to the resources section of our site and click on club. However, you must be a registered member or leader to gain access to this area. To gain access, contact the 4-H Registrar.

Where can I find ideas about effective club meetings?
Login to the resources section of our site and click on club. However, you must be a registered member or leader to gain access to this area. To gain access, contact the 4-H Registrar.

Where can I find ideas about marketing and fundraising?
Login to the resources section of our site and click on club. However, you must be a registered member or leader to gain access to this area. To gain access, contact the 4-H Registrar.

How can I find a 4‑H club near me?
Try using the club finder, located under contact us, or contact your nearest 4‑H Specialist.

Why can’t I find local clubs in the telephone book?
Clubs are lead by local volunteers. All initial calls are directed to the nearest 4‑H Specialist.

When do clubs organize?
Most 4‑H clubs organize in the fall (typically between mid-September and December). Clubs end each year with Achievement Days where members exhibit their project work for the community (usually takes place in June or July).

How often does a club meet?
Typically, clubs meet once or twice a month for members to share knowledge, socialize and build friendships. In addition, many clubs take part in community events and recreational activities.

How can I start a club?
If there are no clubs in your area that do the project you are interested in, you can get information on how to start a new club by contacting your nearest 4‑H Specialist.

Where do I find information on regional and provincial programs and events?
To find information and registration forms for regional and provincial 4‑H programs, visit our calendar of events and programs (located under Events), check out the 4‑H magazine.

Where can I find information about exchanges with 4‑H clubs from other provinces?
Contact Katelyn Strand, 4‑H Specialist.

Where can I find information on scholarships?
The application form can be found on the scholarship page (located under For Members & Leaders). 4‑H distributes over $80,000 in the fall of each year to past and present Alberta 4‑H members attending post secondary schooling.

Where is the Alberta 4‑H Centre located?
The Alberta 4‑H Centre is located at Battle Lake, about 1 hour southwest of Edmonton on Highway 13.

How do I book the facilities at the Alberta 4‑H Centre?
Contact the 4‑H Foundation of Alberta.

Where can I buy 4‑H merchandise or gifts?
Complete the souvenir order form, and mail, fax or phone it to the 4‑H Foundation of Alberta.

Does 4‑H have any employment opportunities available?
4‑H has 8-10 positions open each summer for post-secondary students interested in planning and implementing summer programs.

Check out our Career Opportunities section. As a means of creating a link between potential employers and present/past 4-H members, it provides the opportunity for sponsors and current job postings that may be of interest to the 4-H community.

Can I link our club webpage to this site?
Yes. However, all sites must comply with our website protocols.

Are there guidelines for posting information on the site?
In order to keep the web content relevant for users, we do have guidelines for posting information. Please view our website policy.

What are the rules for using the 4‑H name and emblem?
You must obtain written consent must be obtained from the 4‑H Section, Government of Alberta before using the Canadian 4‑H logo (clover) for purposes other than educational, non-profit or media. The logo must not be altered.

Is there 4‑H clipart available online?
Yes. Visit the downloads section of our site and click on projects. However, you must be a registered member or leader to gain access to this area. To gain access, contact the 4-H Registrar.

What type of insurance policy does 4‑H have in place?
Our policy covers registered leaders, members and adult volunteers that assist with 4‑H activities. It provides coverage for general liability, lost income and accidental death and dismemberment.

  • How does 4‑H’s Liability Insurance work?
  • There must be property damage or injury to a person(s).
  • The policy does not cover your injuries or damage to your property. The idea is to protect you from claims made by others.
  • If you are legally responsible, you (the insurance company) must pay for the damages. You must not have intentionally caused the damage.
  • If you meet these criteria and the loss is covered by the policy, the insurer will provide (and pay for) legal council as well as pay the final settlement amount up to a maximum of $5,000,000.Medical payments in excess of provincial health plans are also covered. Liability insurance does not replace automobile insurance.
    If you use your own vehicle on 4‑H business (including driving 4‑H members), your automobile policy will be the first to respond to an accident claim. To ensure that you have coverage when you need it, prior advise your insurance broker. It’s important that your insurance company has full information before any accident that might occur.

More information on the 4‑H insurance policy can be found in the Leader Guide.

Where can I get information about 4‑H on a national level, including national 4‑H policies?
Contact the Canadian 4‑H Council.